Monday 15 September 2014

The Roast Shack - Mindil Market

The Roast Shack has been my latest stop in my travels through the culinary world of the Mindil Markets. I found The Roast Shack team busy pulling out huge pieces of roast shank ready to be served. When I saw the smiling animals on the sign I just knew this wasn't a place to bring my vegetarian pals. Lucky for me I had a couple of hungry meat eaters ready to try what The Roast Shack was ready to throw at us.

Before chowing down I had a quick little chat with Kevin where he told me a little about The Roast Shack and what they do.





Kevin and his team were obviously very proud of their craft and very passionate about what they do. All through the evening they were continually turning out more shanks to feed a steady stream of hungry customers. When I later spoke to Kevin he told me the lamb shanks were slow roasted for a matter of hours before being ready to serve. I couldn't wait to try it!

The Roast Shack team prepared us a very plump lamb shank. I was then offered a mix of vegetables and mashed potato which I graciously accepted. One has to balance their diet, no? I was then offered gravy on the vegetables which I couldn't say no to. If I'm going to be diving into a lamb shank I might as well be going all out!

Phil had the right idea!
My friends and I attempted to go at the shank with  knives and forks. While it proved good for sharing it just wasn't as effective as eating it Fred Flintstone style! Phill (watch for him in 'Phill My Belly!') wasn't shy to take the shank by the bone and sink his teeth into it. The meat was tender, juicy and very tasty. The lamb shank combined with the mixed veg and mashed potatoes proved to be a very fine and satisfying meal and I can't wait to try some of the other items on their menu.

I spoke to Kevin before the night was through to tell him my thoughts and was pleased by how passionate this man was about his cooking. He may have even let a secret or two out to me about how he cooked his lamb shanks. Rather than spill those secrets it would be better for you to go see the team at The Roast Shack yourself and sink your teeth into their magical roast shanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment