Saturday 6 September 2014

Aussie Burgers & Hot Dogs - Mindil Market

I had the pleasure of visiting Aussie Burgers and Hot Dogs this past Thursday at The Mindil Beach Markets in Darwin, Northern Territory. When profiling different food stalls in a market renowned for a wide selection of international cuisine it might seem a little odd that we went right for the burgers! I can tell you that was not a silly move at all. Aussie Burgers & Hot Dogs offers a wide range of traditional favourites as well as their own spin on local cuisine such as crocodile, buffalo, and barramundi. My friend Samara and I sampled several burgers and we came out hugely impressed and wanting more!

Aussie Burgers & Hot Dogs has been at the Mindil Market for 17 years. It is run by a husband and wife team and their kids are even joining in on the family business. Apart from being extremely lovely people I can safely say that this family knows how to cook! A burger is often viewed as a simple every day food but what these guys do to them is utter perfection!

Feel free to take a look at the below video of my friend Samara and I trying out some burgers from Aussie Burgers & Hot Dogs. That night was a lot of firsts. Samara tried crocodile and buffalo for the first time and I finally got over my multi-decade fear of fish and tucked into a barramundi burger. In the end the barra burger was possibly my favourite of what we sampled.




Barramundi, crocodile, buffalo, and mango are pretty much the staple local food of Darwin and all have their benefits. In addition to be locally sourced buffalo meat is also very rich in iron and crocodile meat is very rich in protein. Not to mention they taste delicious!

I was very impressed at the mango sauce that Aussie Burgers & Hot Dogs used on their crocodile burger. It was savoury and just downright incredible. The buffalo burger was very flavourful and left me wanting more! The biggest surprise for me in the evening was the barramundi burger. It was like rediscovering an old friend. As I stated before I have not had fish in quite a number of years yet felt brave. That bravery has paid off and I now understand the whole barramundi craze in The Territory! It was delicious and I wolfed that one right down.

All in all I was very impressed by Aussie Burgers & Hot Dogs. While it may sound like a run-of-the-mill burger and hot dog stand it is anything but! This is gourmet burgers at its finest!





No comments:

Post a Comment