Wednesday 24 September 2014

The Great Mindil Market Dessert Adventure

You don't need to hear it from me that the seasons are changing. The dry season is coming to an end and the buildup feels like it's starting! Out on the Tiwi Islands we're seeing Hector the Convector, the Top End's most reliable storm system, begin firing up. With that the days are starting to get hotter and muggier! It won't be too much longer until mango season hits full swing and top enders everywhere will begin to gorge themselves on delicious freshly-picked mangoes! In the meantime my sweet tooth has really fired up so it felt like a good time to see what the Mindil Market has for the dessert minded.

This was a bit of an unusual week for me. I was given a gaggle of kids to feed! These weren't any ordinary kids either. These were some kind of running, jumping, juggling, diablo-tossing, hula-hooping circus kids! I kid you not. I was just waiting for them to light a hoop on fire and have a lion jump through it! It's safe to say that circus-kids are going to burn a lot of energy doing what they do. Thank goodness I had my friend Naomi helping me out this week. The weather was hot and everyone just wanted to cool down after an afternoon of juggling!

This was the perfect opportunity to try out some of the many stalls offering desserts and other snacks to quench the sweetest of any sweet tooth. We were pleased by the variety on offer from traditional favourites such as ice cream, healthy alternatives such as beautiful fruit salads, and international delectable dishes with difficult to pronounce names!

Naomi and I visited the vendors to see what was going to be on the smorgasbord for the evening. Check out more in the video below!


Top End Delights

It's like a rainbow of deliciousness!
Top End Delights was our first stop. I had a lovely chat with Charmaine and learned about her homemade sorbets and other treats such as dried mango. As well as everything being homemade a lot of it is also home grown! Charmaine has a nearby farm where she grows many of the ingredients that go into her delicious treats. Apart from mango you will also find sorbets and ice creams in chocolate, dragon fruit, lemon, passion fruit, honey, banana, and pineapple. Everything looked so amazing (and what I had tasted amazing!) and there is certainly something at Top End Delights for everyone. Especially during these hot days!

Kens Crepes

Banana and Nutella crepe with ice cream. Get in my belly!
I managed to steal Ken away from his busy schedule for a few minutes to talk to him about his famous crepes. Ken and his friendly team were busy churning out fresh crepes to hungry market-goers at a pace I could barely keep up with. It's not surprising that his stall has been at the market for 18 years. You can't walk by his stall without your mouth watering from the smell of the freshly cooking crepes being made fresh to order. With over 20 different variations on the menu they will have something for all tastes. From sweet to savoury there will be something to please even the pickiest of taste buds. Ken even suggests a splash of Bailey's to a crepe. I'm itching to give that a try!

Pranees Fruitshakes

Have you ever seen so much happy looking fruit salad??
Food preparation is an art itself but Pranee takes it to the next level. Pranee makes her fruit salads into fun presentations that kids are going to love. I'll admit I was a little apprehensive eating a fruit salad that was smiling back at me but it was hot, I was hungry, and I just couldn't help but dive in. Pranees Fruitshakes also makes, as their name suggests, fruitshakes! What they also make, and I can't recommend them enough, is the coconut chocolate shakes! Wow. Did that ever hit the spot! The coconut chocolate shake was absolutely perfect. The last thing I want on a hot day in Darwin is a thick shake I can barely drink through a straw. This was not the case here. It went down like a thick juice and easily quenched my thirst.

Churros Van

It's enough to make your mouth water!
The Churros Van provided us with, as their name suggests, Churros! (not the van). Churros are a Spanish donut that comes in a variety of flavours such as milk chocolate, white chocolate, and homemade caramel. It has been many years since I have had a proper Churro and what I managed to bite into before the circus kids gobbled them all down were amazing. The Churros Van crew were working busily away churning out delicious fresh churros that almost melt when they hit your mouth. I could easily see myself getting addicted to them!

Naomi tucking into a Poffertje!

Poffertjes

Now you are probably asking "What the heck is a 'poffertje?!" Well I'll tell you! A Poffertje is a Dutch dessert that consists of small fluffy pancakes topped with fruit and ice cream! How do you like them apples? Actually the poffertje I tried did have hot apples topped with cold ice cream which pretty much had me in love at first bite. These certainly were a treat and I almost had to fight my way through the horde of kids to get any. The Poffertje stand has a variety of toppings for you and your family to choose from so there is certainly something there for everyone!



Likitisip

There is no wrong way to eat an ice cream!
Finally we have the tried and true summer favourite: ICE CREAM! Likitisip has gallons of ice cream that their friendly team was scooping out onto waffle cones. For the thirsty traveller there is also a range of different drinks to whet your throat. With a wide range of flavours there is certainly something for everyone young and old alike!


The kids certainly enjoyed their treats and I know Naomi and I certainly did too. I've been to many markets before but never before have I seen the eclectic range of food stalls that Mindil Market has. It certainly makes deciding what to eat a tough decision but it's also a wonderful way to take a chance and try something new. 

Be that as it may, after all these sweets, I think the next blog entries are going to be vegetarian! 

No comments:

Post a Comment